Attorney admitted to the Madrid Bar, Jorge has thirteen years of specialist experience in litigation and competition law. His experience spans both in the administrative and judicial phases of contentious matters as well of stand alone and follow-on damages litigation. He also has in-depth knowledge of the regulatory aspects of mergers and acquisitions, both on merger control and in licensing or sector-regulation issues, including foreign direct investment (FDI) screening. Prior to joining Callol, Coca & Asociados, he was a senior associate at the EU & competition department of one of the largest law firms in Spain. Before that, he formed part of the EU & competition practice of a London ‘magic circle’ law firm in Spain. Prior to that, he trained with a Spanish corporate law boutique.
Law graduate, with a special degree in EU law from San Pablo CEU University (Madrid). LL.M in international business law from San Pablo CEU University. LL.M in Competition and EU law from University College London (UCL), University of London.
He is author of various specialist publications.
Languages: English, Spanish and good communication skills in French.
- A multinational ball bearings manufacturer concerning an investigation by the Spanish Competition Authority into alleged breaches of Articles 101 TFEU and 1 Spanish competition Act
- A paper recycling company concerning an investigation by the Spanish Competition Authority into possible breaches of Article 1 Spanish competition Act
- A car distribution company concerning an investigation by the Spanish Competition Authority into possible breaches of Articles 101 TFEU and 1 Spanish competition Act
- A major Spanish football club concerning antitrust investigation into the football broadcasting rights market and related litigation before the High Court
- A financial services company acting on its complaint before the European Commission against a Member State
- A TV broadcaster concerning antitrust investigation into the football broadcasting rights market and subsequent litigation against the administrative decision before the High Court
- Advising a construction company on a bid rigging case relating to road works before the Spanish Competition Authority
- An international media company in connection with sanctioning proceedings concerning film distribution subsequent litigation before the High Court and the Supreme Court
- Advising an infrastructure operator before the General Court in proceedings against Commission’s decision concerning major corporate operation in the highways market
- A shipping company in sanctioning proceedings before the Spanish Competition Authority concerning breaches of Articles 101 TFEU and 1 Spanish competition Act, pioneering in leniency application procedure in Spain
- Advise on unilateral conduct issues related to potential abuse of dominant position by a pharma company
- Successfully advising in stand alone damages litigation against Spanish monopsonist Sogecable in connection with sub-licensing of rights for pay-per-view of football matches.
- Advising on the Spanish law aspects of the sodium chlorate cartel follow-on damages litigation.
- Madison Dearborn Partners on its acquisition of containers manufacturer BWAY Corporation
- Spectris on its acquisition of noise management systems manufacturer Lochard
- Banco Sabadell on public takeover offer for Banco Guipuzcoano
- Banco Sabadell on its acquisition of Banco CAM
- A group of investors on its acquisition of Spanair and its later disposal
- Imperial Tobacco on its EUR 12.8 billion public takeover offer for Altadis
- Iberdrola on its acquisition of Scottish Power
- EQT on its acquisition of in vitro diagnostics firm Dako
- Inverness Medical Innovations on its acquisition of in vitro diagnostics firm Acon Laboratories
- Riverside on its acquisition of coatings manufacturer Kaul
- EQT on its acquisition of Atos Medical
- A well known US sound systems company on the merger control aspects of its acquisition of [CONFIDENTIAL - unreported]
- Interested third parties in connection with the Spanish television mergers Telecinco/Cuatro and Telefonica/Telecinco/Digital+
- 3G Capital on its 3.12 billion acquisition of Burger King