Eduardo is a dual qualified (Spain and England and Wales) corporate lawyer specializing in advising internet and technology high growth companies in Spain and acting regularly for founders, companies and venture capital and venture debt investors throughout all stages of the development of these emerging companies. Eduardo also has extensive expertise in the formation of venture capital and private equity funds as well as having a track record of general M&A and private equity work within the technology sector including cross border transactions across several jurisdictions.
Eduardo studied Business Economics at the University Autonoma of Madrid and the Erasmus University of Rotterdam, completing the 5 year degree in 1997. Simultaneously he completed a 5 year Law degree with the UNED University. Eduardo qualified as Spanish Abogado in 2000 and as a Solicitor of England and Wales in 2005.
Before founding Callol, Coca & Asociados, Eduardo was an equity partner with international TMT law firm Olswang where he led the Madrid office emerging companies and venture capital practice. Prior to being a partner at Olswang, Eduardo practiced in Madrid and in London with leading international firms including Garrigues, magic circle firm Allen&Overy (Madrid and London offices), DLA Piper, and Nabarro LLP (practicing English law in London).
Eduardo has been recognised in the 2019 of the leading global directory Chambers and Partners Europe within band 1 as one of the top three Venture Capital lawyers in Spain while Callol, Coca & Asociados has been recognised as one of the top five Spanish Venture Capital law firms. Feedback from clients published by Chambers in 2018 and 2019 include appreciating Eduardo’s “deep understanding of the sector and his capacity to assist in negotiations and provide a foundation of pragmatic arguments to generate agreements” and identifying his department as being “very thorough going far beyond simple legal counsel, assessing terms and clauses from a wider perspective, including information about customary practice in other jurisdictions and confronting the other side with practical and deep legal arguments”. Eduardo was also ranked in the 2015, 2016 and 2017 editions of Chambers and Partners Global for Corporate/M&A and the 2018 edition of Chambers and Partners Europe. He is also ranked in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 Edition of The Best Lawyers in Spain directory for corporate/M&A.
Languages: Spanish and English
Some of the latest transactions within the Tech High Growth Companies and Venture Capital and Venture Debt sector where Eduardo has been the main advisor:
- Advised ITYIS Siglo XXI, on the sale of the recipe website “Mis Recetas” to the Tokyo listed company Cookpad Inc.
- Advised mobile game developer Omnidrone on its Series A financing round led by venture capital fund Nokia Growth Partners.
- Advised venture capital fund Kibo Ventures as lead investor in its Series A investment in digital signage network Playthe.net.
- Advised PackLink, the European online package shipping marketplace, on its $9 million Series B financing led by venture capital fund Accel Partners with the participation of existing Series A investor Active Venture Partners.
- Advised Chicfy, a peer-to-peer marketplace for users to sell and buy clothes, on its institutional seed financing round led by venture capital fund Cabiedes & Partners.
- Advising Camalize, operating an online marketplace that allows users to create custom promotional products, on its seed convertible notes financing round led by venture capital fund Caixa Capital Risk.
- Advised Mailtrack, developer of a proprietary email tracking technology, on its institutional seed financing round led by venture capital funds Vitamina K and Big Sur.
- Advised Greylock Capital as lead investor in a Series A financing round of a Spanish high growth company.
- Advised venture capital fund Kibo Ventures as lead investor in the Series A financing of Icontainers, an online transactional service to easily send containers internationally.
- Advised Amdocs in its acquisition of the assets and liabilities of mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) Simfonics.
- Advised venture capital fund Kibo Ventures as lead investor in the Series A financing round of Captio, a platform to digitalise and register business receipts and expenses.
- Advised two leading US VC funds as lead investors in the Series C financing of mobile first peer to peer market place for second hand goods Wallapop.
- Advised Greylock Capital as lead investor in a Series B follow on financing of a Spanish high growth company.
- Advised PackLink, the European online package shipping marketplace, on its $12.6 million Series C financing led by venture capital fund Fidelity Growth Partners (currently Eight Roads Ventures) with the participation of existing Series B and Series A investors Accel Partners and Active Venture Partners.
- Advised Kibo Ventures in its partial divestment of digital signage network Playthe.net.
- Advised Chicfy on its follow on financing round led by venture capital fund Cabiedes & Partners.
- Appointed secretary to the board of Casi Nuevo Kids (Percentil) after its Series A financing round led by Seaya Ventures and Active Venture Partners.
- Advised mobile game developer Omnidrone in its bridge loan financing led by Nokia Growth Partners with the participation of London Venture Partners and Kibo Ventures.
- Advised two leading US VC funds as investors in the Series D financing of Wallapop.
- Advised Kibo Ventures in relation to Icontainers Series B financing led by Serena Capital.
- Advised Kibo Ventures as lead investor in the Series A financing of Tappx, a platform for app developers to cross promote apps and monetize their inventory using Tappx’s own SSP platform.
- Advised Greylock Capital in relation to the financing of an on line personal loan platform to be launched in Mexico by a Spanish high growth company.
- Advised JME Venture Capital and Kibo Ventures as lead investors in the € 6 million Series B financing of digital content as a service (DCaaS) platform ODILO.
- Advised Kibo Ventures as co-lead investor with KFund in the Series A financing of on line billing platform for SMBs Billin.
- Advised the co founders of the robot building for the construction industry Scaled Robotics on their equity financing and joint venture agreement with PERI GMBH.
- Advised Kibo Ventures as lead investor in corporate training through games platform Gamelearn Series A financing.
- Advised Clicars.com and its two co-founders in relation to Aramisauto’s (PSA Group) investment and acquisition of a majority stake in the company with Seaya Capital acquiring a minority stake.
- Advise Kibo Ventures as lead investor in the Series A financing of comparison meta search engine for short-term apartment rentals Apartum.
- Advise to Tripadvisor group in relation to the Spanish regulatory aspects of their on line holiday rental platforms and websites.
- Advised Kibo Ventures as lead investor in a developer of semiconductors for plastic optical fiber KDPOF Series C financing with the participation of Series A and Series B investors Bullnet Capital and Caixa Capital Risc.
- Advised Packlink on a bridge convertible loan financing subscribed by Series A, Series B and Series C investors.
- Advised Kibo Ventures in relation to its convertible debt financing of Lisbon based Hole 19 an app offering a full range of products and tools for golfers.
- Advised Packlink the European online package shipping marketplace in relation to its venture debt financing by venture debt specialist Harbert European Growth Capital Fund.
- Advised Series B investors Kibo Ventures and JME Ventures in the Series C financing of Worldsensing (provider of innovative wireless solutions, Internet-of-Things (IoT) for mobility and industrial sectors) led by McRock and ETF.
- Advised Kibo Ventures in the Series B financing of Blueliv a cloud-based cyber threat Intelligence technology provider.
- Advised Kibo Ventures and JME Ventures as lead investors in the Series C financing of 21 Buttons an online platform, which operates with digital media and as a fashion social and shopping network.
- Advised Kibo Ventures as lead investor in the Series A financing of provider of valet parking and car rental services through a native app and platform Llollo App.
- Advised European venture debt specialist Harbert European Growth Capital Fund in its venture debt financing of Promofarma an online health & wellness marketplace.
- Advised European venture debt specialist Harbert European Growth Capital Fund in its venture debt financing of on line recruitment platform Job&Talent.
- Advised the international student community and accommodation platform Erasmusu.com and its founders in their sale of a 100% stake to Spotahome Ltd.
- Advised Kibo Ventures as the leading institutional investor and Harbert European Growth Capital in connection with the sale of 100% of online health & wellness marketplace Promofarma to Swiss online pharmacy group Zur Rose.
- Advised institutional investors led by Kibo Ventures in the sale of 100% of Captio Tech to US-based expense management firm Certify Inc.
- Advised Kibo Ventures and Castel Capital as lead investors in the Series B financing of last-mile delivery platform Paack.
- Advised Packlink Shipping in relation to its Series D financing round with participation of previous rounds’ venture capital investors Active, Accel and Eight Roads and industry investors.
- Advised founders of online platform for commercialisation of organic and eco-friendly products Planeta Huerto in the sale of 100% of Planeta Huerto to Carrefour’s subsidiary Greenweez.